Thursday, March 19, 2009

Illustrations




In my post dated Wednesday March 18 2009, I included one of the eight black-and-white illustrations that appear in my book, to be precise, Figure 1. There are a total of 7 of these figures, not including the frontispiece. As I mentioned at the outset, I will eventually upload all of these images, none of which are under strict copyright control. In this particular instance, the image is reproduced courtesy of the Maritime History of the Great Lakes.

Published by A. T. Andreas (Chicago) in 1884 and depicting an event from 1830 (the first shipment of grain in bulk from the Port of Chicago, undertaken by the "Osceola" of Buffalo, New York), Figure 1 was attached to my comments about the society of the spectacle because of its insistence that no one was there to witness this historic event, that Chicago's docks were virtually empty (spectacular) at the time, when in fact these docks were teeming with workers, supervisors, grain merchants, farmers, et al, and would remain so until the 1850s.

No comments:

Post a Comment