Caption for Figure 6: “Detail of concrete bin bottom and conveyor.”
The Standard Elevator, Buffalo, New York. Located in the building’s basement, the hopper conducts grain from the bin above it onto a horizontal conveyor-belt. Note the long corridor-like crawl-space at the lower right.
Photographed by Jet Low, 1990.
Courtesy the Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, Historic American Engineering Record.
Built in 1928 and extended in 1942, the Standard Elevator can store a total of five million bushels in a structure that is completely made out of reinforced-concrete. The elevator remained in operation until just a few years ago. It would transship grain from lake vessels to rail cars destined for a nearby flourmill that was owned by Pillsbury and later by Archer-Midland Daniels.